8 Reasons High School Musical Is Still Amazing

Friday, January 22, 2016

The night High School Musical premiered in 2006, I refused to watch it when my sister asked me to, because I was in the bath and I didn't want to get out. 



BUT then I watched it, and obviously loved it. I knew the moves to 'We're All In This Together', I had the posters plastered all over my walls and I didn't trust anyone I met named Sharpay. This week was the 10 year reunion, and all of the stars (excluding the one and only Zac Efron who was unable to attend) came together and did an interview and it was beautifully nostalgic. So much so, that it has encouraged me not only to hold me own High School Musical trilogy marathon this weekend, but to make a list of 8 Reasons it's still every bit as amazing as it was ten years ago. 

1. Troy Bolton.


This reason doesn't need more explanation. If you say your childhood self watched High School Musical and didn't have a crush on Troy Bolton, I don't believe you. 

2. The Songs Are SO Catchy 

I have a playlist on my ipod of songs from all three movies, and if you think I don't blast it while I'm getting ready while lip-synching very dramatically in the mirror you don't know what kind of person I am. Breaking Free gets me every time. 

3. All Three Movies Were Good

Disney has a habit of taking one really amazing/successful movie and then somehow producing a stinker as a sequel. I thought all three High School Musical's stood on their own, and had their own unique stories, and the music never stopped being dance-worthy. 



4. The Rivalry

Everyone loves a good good vs. bad story. In High School Musical world, Sharpay Evans was a perfect mean girl with beautiful hair and impeccable pitch. One thing I loved about High School Musical was that they kept this rivalry going through the series, so that I could trash talk Sharpay while continuing to feel bad for Ryan for having to be her brother. 


5. The Love

Troy and Gabriella were 'relationship goals' before the youth of today had even invented the saying. They were SO adorable together, and after Breaking Free I cared more about their fictional love life than anything going on in mine. When the whole 'Gotta Go My Own Way' break-up happened in the second movie I cried. Like crazy. Troyella forever. 




6. The Emotional Connection

When the first movie started all of the characters were just young naive high schoolers, falling in love and singing in the cafeteria. By the end of the third movie, we had watched them grown up and graduate high school and sing their hearts out. It was an emotional roller-coaster, and I'll buy a ticket any day. Remember when they played a slow version of 'We're All In This Together' at graduation in the third movie? Did it rip your heart out? Yeah, I know. 

7. Troy Bolton


This was just an excuse to insert another Zac Efron GIF, I apologize. (But not really.) 

8. It's Timeless

The story of an outcast trying to fit in, the music, the love between two people who are complete opposites but work so perfectly together, and the story of how friendship can get you through anything. All that AND perfectly choreographed cafeteria dance scenes? It's a Disney classic. 

Feel free to come over this weekend and watch the movies with me. 



Chelsea Totten
Talk Pretty To Me 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook