Shailene's The Coolest

Friday, April 24, 2015

There is virtually nothing that bothers me about Shailene Woodley. I think she's such a genuine, interesting, and adorable human being. She won the 'Trailblazer' award at the MTV Movie Awards, which I think is a pretty big deal. It goes to someone influential, someone leading the way along a new path. 




Here's Shai's speech, in case you missed it. 





“I was here three years ago when Emma Stone won this award. … I remember what she said because it stayed with me all of these years. She came up here and she defined what a trailblazer was, which is an innovator, someone who forges a new path. And in her speech she said we meet thousands of people who we may be inspired by but we’ll never be anyone other than ourselves. And, in thinking about that and thinking about this whole concept of trailblazing, I realized that we can’t fully be ourselves without a community, we can’t be ourselves without people to reflect back to us who we really are."
"In that, I keep marveling at this idea at who we pick up on the trails along the way and who becomes our communities. What am I trying to say? I jut have no idea! Looking at all of you, I know some of you, I don’t know some of you, but for all of you who have been pillars to me, thank you, and for all of you who I have been able to be a pillar for, I will continue to be a pillar for. Whoever your community is, be pillars for these people. So, let’s trailblaze on!”

I think the way that Shailene thinks is so innovative, and can really change the way a lot of people she influences choose to act going forward. Firstly, I love the fact that she said 'we can't be ourselves without people to reflect back to us who we really are'. This is such an important statement. How can we know how the way we are is affecting those around us without their opinion? Feedback is an important step in progress, and an important part of self-improvement and growth. Who we are surrounded by definitely influences who we become and I think it'll make an enormous difference that this is now something people will consider. 


Lastly, the fact that she thanks those who have been a pillar for her. I've never thought of people in this way. It's such a perfect concept, really. Pillars support. They hold things up, they keep them steady. We need people in our lives to do exactly that, and we need to be that for others. That's how we thrive as people, and as a community. 



Shailene Woodley is a huge idol of mine. I hope one day I can be as influential to even one person as she is to so, so many.



Let's Trail-blaze on. Who's with me?



Chelsea Totten

Talk Pretty To Me

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook